|Address:||Family Centre and Sure Start Shantallow
|Telephone:||028 7135 2522|
SureStart Shantallow is based in the Greater Shantallow area, providing services for families with children under 4. The defined geographical area covered is the electoral wards of
- Culmore Ward SOA 2 & 3
- Shantallow East
- Shantallow West
Our project aims to work in partnership with parents to enrich the health and wellbeing of families in our area by providing supportive services that build on the strengths and enhance the quality of family life.
Location of Sure Start Project:
The services are located in a number of centres on an outreach basis within the community we serve. These are as listed below
- Resource Centre Derry,
- Shantallow Family Centre,
- Steelstown Primary School,
- St Therese’s Primary School,
- St Brigid’s Parish Hall,
- Galliagh Park crèche (Housing Executive flat)
- Skeoge Business Park (Tus Cinnte Developmental Programme for 2-3 Year Olds)
Services on Offer:
- Registration Visits
- Respite crèche, crèche to support groups and crèche for children with additional needs
- Developmental Programme2-3 Year Oldsx6
- Parenting Programme inc Nurturing Programme, PEEP, Incredible Years Programmes, Baby Massage, Sleep Management Programme, Cook It, Home Play, Bumps and Babies, Parent and Toddlers
- Individual support
- Welfare Rights
- Young Parents Services
- Dads Group
- Respite Childminding
- Childminding Drop In and Support Group
- Speech and Language Services
- Ante Natal services inc Antenatal Classes, Aquanatal, Antenatal Yoga, Reflexology (antenatal mothers)
Who is responsible for Sure Start (Partner’s Names)?
SureStart Shantallow is overseen by Shantallow Community Support Partnership, a partnership between Resource Centre Derry and Western Health and Social Care Trust.
What happens once I register with Sure Start?
Parent and children’s interest in programmes and services are entered onto database and the parent is contacted by staff when these become available.
A number of programmes can be accessed immediately and on-going support can be offered if appropriate. Waiting lists for other programmes are maintained.
Families will automatically receive our quarterly newsletters in which provides information about any new programmes, start dates, application times for the Two Year Programme etc.
Comments from Families on Sure Start:
- “SureStart has been brilliant for my children and I feel we have all learned a lot. My children have gained so much knowledge socially and developmentally.”
- “I think I know more now and have now got more confidence to deal with things in the right way and know to be more consistent.”
- “The programme has made me more confident and comfortable in myself as a parent.”
- “I learned a lot of new techniques to bond with my baby.”
- “It was great to meet other mothers with the same problems, I know I am not alone.”
- “ I learnt new ways to communicate.”