|Address:||Strabane Family Centre
2 Melmount Road
|Telephone:||028 7138 2658|
Strabane SureStart aims to work with parents and children aged under 4 years to promote the physical, intellectual, social and emotional development of pre-school children to ensure they can flourish at home and when they get to school. The services are friendly, accessible, and reflect and respond to local needs We want Sure Start to help parents feel confident and in control of their children’s lives and their own. We aim to remove barriers, which prevent parents from getting support in caring for and bringing up their children. Sure Start offers services that are designed especially for parents and carers with babies from birth to 3 years 11 months old. We also provide services for antenatal mothers. Strabane Sure Start strives towards the following aims
- Improve the ability to learn by encouraging stimulating play, improving language skills and the early identification and support of children with learning difficulties
- Improve health by supporting parents in caring for children and promoting children’s health and development
- Improve social development by supporting the development of early relationships between parents and children, good parenting skills, family functioning and early identification and support of children with emotional, learning or behavioural difficulties
With dedicated teamwork, Strabane Sure Start is committed to the core values of:
Respect, Encouragement and Hope
for each other and all our families.
We aim to give children a better start in life.
- Sion Mills
Location of Sure Start Project:
Strabane Sure Start is based on the Melmount Road in Strabane. We also have outreach centres based in the rural communities of Donemana and Plumbridge.
Services on Offer:
Within Strabane Sure Start and our outreach centres we have the following services services available:
- Crèche Facilities
- 2 Year Old Programmes
- Stay and Play groups
- Baby massage
- Baby Yoga
- Baby Reflex
- Health Promoting Homes
- Baby Dolphin
- Courtyard Play and Learning Centre
- Breast Feeding Group
- Speech and language support porgramme
- Peep Programmes
- Nuturing Programmes
- Solid Start (weaning Programme)
- School Readiness
- Toddler Yoga
- Antenatal Services – Hypnobirthing, Aquanatal, Parentcraft, Reflexology, Antenatal Yoga
- Incredible Years
- Parenting programmes
- Health Visiting
Who is responsible for Sure Start (Partner’s Names)?
The Lead Partner for Strabane Sure Start is Barnardos.
What happens once I register with Sure Start?
When you register with SureStart parents/child will be put on relevant lists to complete any course they wish to take part in and they will be signposted towards groups which we feel will be beneficial to them as a parent either postnatally or antenatally.
Comments from families on Sure Start:
- I love the range of course Sure Start offers. Friendly welcoming staff
- Very friendly staff, clean, warm atmosphere.
- Kindergarten – both my children love it, its local and the staff are excellent
- It is a safe place for the children to meet and play with each other and they are very well looked after.
- I love having the opportunity to meet other peers and children. Also enjoy getting a little bit of time to myself when my child attends the crèche.
- The lifestart programme has been an excellent benefit to myself.
- Each member of staff is outstanding. They listen to you as a parent and give you confidence that your child is well cared for and educated. Everyone I very supportive and treat your child as an individual. I find everyone very caring and always keen to introduce various play activities.
- Friendly staff, who are very knowledgeable and approachable.
- The support that has been there and the activities offered to all mums to be. It was great to be able to talk and get to know other pregnant women, I no longer felt alone.
- I loved meeting other mums, babies, staff who run the groups. The friendships you make are great and I love the support you receive from the groups.
- I love meeting other parents and getting advice on different things.
- I love having the opportunity to meet other parents, the social aspect of the groups and spending quality time with my child.