|Address:||Orana Children & Family Centre
2 Warrenpoint Road
|Telephone:||028 3083 3780|
Q1: Do you live in Newry in one of the following wards?
Drumgillion, St Marys, St Patrick’s, Daisy Hill, Windsor Hill, Ballybot or Dromalane Wards
Q2: Are you a mother, father or carer for a child aged under 4 or are you expecting a baby?
If the answer is yes to both of these questions you may qualify for our FREE services!
We are based in Orana Children & Family Centre on the Warrenpoint Road and deliver our services in a variety of community locations. We have been delivering services since 2000 to families and we have worked with over 4000 families.
With a skilled team of almost 40 staff our services aim to help parents & carers in their role and to enhance children’s development. Our services are open to everyone; you do not need to be experiencing any particular challenges or problems.
- St Marys
- St Patricks
- Windsor Hill
Services on Offer:
A variety or services are offered on a 1:1, group or home visiting basis:
- Parenting Programmes (incredible Years, Nurturing & DELTA)
- Crèche & Transport
- Midwifery & Health Visiting support,
- Speech , Language & Communication support
- Play advice & support
- Child developmental advice & support
- Parent & toddler sessions
- Baby Café
- Breast feeding support
- Family relationship and communication support
- Recreational, personal development and accredited courses for parents
- Toy Library Bus
- Physical exercise and music sessions for children
- Specific support for the ethnic minority & Traveller communities
- Specific support for families whose child may have a disability or developmental delay
- Dads Den – Saturday Club for dads and children
- Purpose build multi sensory room
- & much more
Who is responsible for Sure Start (Partner’s Names)?
The Newry City SureStart Project is a partnership of the following agencies:
- Orana Children & Family Centre (Lead Agency)
- DELTA (SH&SCT)
- Home Start
- Health Visiting, Midwifery & Lay Health (SH&SCT)
- Speech & Language (SH&SCT)
- ToyBox (Early Years, the Organisation for Young People)
- Toy Library (SH&SCT)
What happens once I register with Sure Start?
You will be contacted by an outreach worker who will give you the option of a home visit or a meeting in Orana at which you will be given details of all the services we offer and any support needed to access these services. All services are voluntary and you can use them when you wish (subject to places available).
Comments from families on Sure Start:
- ‘Sure start is an excellent facility for all mums with excellent opportunities to undergo, various courses with dedicated support along the way. Sure start offers a wide range of community support for parents and I would advise all parents to take a look to see what is on offer – mother on facebook
- ‘We also loved the Baby & Me club we had brilliant fun & enjoyed getting 2 meet all the other babies’ – mother on Face book
- ‘Just finished Incredible Years – an excellent programme that has given me lots of strategies to use with both my children’ – mother on facebook
- ‘Have attended courses and clubs with my 3 children. I’ve gained qualifications and friends along the way. Great support for all local families’ – mother on facebook
- ‘Would definitely recommend this service’ – mother in Mutli Sensory Room
- ‘A wonderful place… Thank you so much!’ – father at Parenting Programme
- ‘The staff are so friendly & helpful’ – mother using many services
- ‘I wish I had of had this for my children’ – grandparent in Parent & Toddler
- ‘I love having a place to go and meet other dads’ – father in Dads Den Saturday Club
- ‘Great experience for my child really felt comfortable and at ease with the staff’ –mother in Multi Sensroy Room
- ‘Was just a great experience to have a one to one & if there were any learning problems they would have been spotted’ – mother using several services
- ‘Everything was great’ – parent using several services
Newsletters: Yes, Daisy Mail Newsletter; produced 4 times a year
The project also has a Facebook Page& website (under construction)