|Address:||St Joseph’s Early Years Centre
90 Doury Road
|Telephone:||028 2564 2883|
Ballymena Sure Start provides a range of services to children from pre-birth up to four years and their families. Services consist of both individual and group support and operate from either of two centres (covering eight electoral wards in the North and South of a large town), within the home setting or through outreach activities to local pre-school, Church and Community settings.
The project comprises a Multi-agency, Multi-disciplinary team and works in close partnership with a range of local Statutory, Voluntary and Community service providers to provide a needs led approach to the delivery of services in the area.
- Castle Demesne
Location of Sure Start Project:
Unit 5 Ballykeel Business Centre
18 Crebilly Road
St Joseph’s Early Years Centre
90 Doury Road
Services on Offer:
Ballymena Sure Start offers a wide range of interesting courses, events, and longer term groups including the opportunity to have services in your own home. These include Health, Education and Family Support Services.
- Introductory visits to new birth families
- Breast feeding support group
- Infant Massage classes
- Health Visitor drop-in clinic
- Weaning sessions
- Sleep clinic/advice sessions
- Infant resuscitation classes
- Physical activity for children – Little Tiddlers swimming group/ Boogie Woogie Weans
- Go Walking groups
- Cookery programmes
- Dental Health promotion programmes
- Annual health promotion event
- Busy Bees Developmental Programme for 2-3 Year olds
- Speech & Language Therapy services
- Toy and Book Library service to Sure Start areas
- Home Play programmes tailored to the individual child
- Book Start events
- My family book – Adult literacy based programme
- Home safety and accident prevention programmes
- Parenting Programmes
- Services for fathers
- Monthly Support group for parents and children with additional needs or disability
- Stay and Play Sessions
- Wee Bees support Crèches
- Volunteer support – with partner agency Home Start
- Budgeting and benefit advice
- Cooking on a budget sessions
- ‘You make the difference’ parenting programmes
- Family fun and activity days at key times in the year
- Monthly Minority Ethnic support group
Who is responsible for Sure Start (Partner’s Names)?
Ballymena Sure Start is a Partnership project with Action for Children as the Lead body, the NHSCT as Accountable body and Home-Start as a Partner agency.
The project has two centres supporting the delivery of service in the North and South of Ballymena town. The Centre opening hours are from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday.
What happens once I register with Sure Start?
Once you register with Sure Start you will receive a timetable of programmes and events which you can avail of. If you are interested in any programme our friendly staff will register your interest and a member of staff will be in contact.
Contact may be made by telephone, our texting service or a home visit.
Comments from families on Sure Start:
- “Sure Start has really helped me with my parenting, I’m more aware of my babies needs than before. I have more confidence to ask for support for other Sure Start services thanks to Family Men and the relationships I have built there with staff and other men”
- “I am glad now l decided to come over today. I feel a lot better knowing people understands and have went through the same issues l am going through”
- “Loved all of this course; it is fantastic and should be more available to other parents. Will use all of these tips for easier parenting, my friends and family members would really enjoy this and are always asking me for answers to their problems that are related to this course.”
- “It was very relaxing, the company of others helps and it is a great community relationship builder.”
- “My son has really enjoyed his time here. It has helped him along greatly. The staff have been amazing with my son and myself. If I had any concerns they were brilliant helping.”
- “My daughter has enjoyed Busy Bees very much and has really come out of herself and made great progress in all areas. All the staff have connected with her and she has built a lovely relationship with them. I am very grateful and happy for everything they have done for her”
- “My son has really enjoyed Busy Bees at Sure Start I have been very happy with the service provided. Thank-you”
- “Busy Bees has helped me as a parent to develop and nurture my child’s confidence and abilities”