|Address:||Units 8 & 9 Wolfhill Centre
148 Ligoniel Road
|Telephone:||028 9071 2266|
Glenbrook Surestart is a local inclusive service that is available to all families living in the Ardoyne, Cliftonville and Ligoniel Ward areas who are expecting or have children under the age of 4.
Services on Offer:
- Home Visiting
- Stay and Play Sessions
- Parent and Toddler group support
- Song and Rhyme sessions
- Developmental Programme for 2 – 3 year olds
- Parent Programmes e.g. Nurture, Cook It, Behaviour Management, Baby Massage, Baby Yoga, Baby Swim, Mellow Bumps.
- Workshops e.g. Feeding in the 1st Year, Stress Management, Money Management.
- Programme crèche
- Baby Drop In
- Antenatal Drop In
- Family Support Drop In
- Multicultural Drop In
- Breast Pump Lending
- Story Sack Lending (for groups)
- Language Box Lending
- Portable Sensory Lending (for groups)
- CO2 testing, Smoking Cessation
- Speech and Language Therapy support
Who is responsible for Sure Start (Partner’s Names)?
The Belfast Health and Social Care Trust is the Lead and Accountable Body
Chairperson – Maria Burke, Manager Ligoniel Healthy Living Centre
Paul O’Neill – Principal Social Worker, Early Years Team, BHSCT
Una McRoberts – Manager, Ardoyne / Shankill Healthy Living Centre
Nuala Gallagher – Principal, Holy Cross Nursery School
Shane Whelehan –Director, Ardoyne Youth Providers Forum
Ulrike Letzner – Community Development Officer, Ligoniel, Ballysillan, Upper Ardoyne, Belfast City Council
Tracey Hutchinson – Manager, Wishing Well Family Centre
Paula Reid – Health Visiting Manager, BHSCT
Jenny Clark – Principal, Glenbank Nursery School
Bill McComb – Manager, Marrowbone Community Association
Briege Lewis – Neighbourhood Renewal Officer, Department for Social Development
Maire Hegarty – Principal, Bunscoil Bheann Mhadigan
What happens once I register with Sure Start?
When we receive a referral / request form we will make contact with you and send out a leaflet to explain what happens next.
Referrals / requests for Sure Start services are allocated to the member of staff we believe would be the best person in the team to support you given the information received. That person will then contact you by telephone to discuss your referral / request and arrange registration if that is what you want.
Registration is usually carried out through an initial visit and this usually takes place in your home, however alternatives can be discussed and agreed. The purpose of the initial visit is to gather information so that we can offer you the most appropriate service to meet your and your families needs. We will then agree with you a pathway of your journey through Sure Start. We will give you information on what services are available as well as a copy of our latest newsletter.
Registering with Sure Start will entitle you to regular information about our activities, services and events through our newsletter and contact with the staff team.
Comments from families on Sure Start:
- ‘I just watch the staff working with the children, and try to be like them with my children, I use them as my role model.’(Stay and Play)
- ‘We don’t own a car, so it was nice to have a day out somewhere different with lovely walk ways and scenery. Well organised and Sure Start staff were very helpful and pleasant.’ (Summer trip)
- ‘We have benefited *** has become a real character, really fun she is really helpful around the house, she loves teaching us her new songs and rhymes, helps me clean and tidy and helps her Daddy cook. *** is a lot less demanding and our family time is more enjoyable.’ (2 year old programme)
- ‘*** loves baby massage and it relaxes her and makes her get ready for her nap.’
- ‘The course has gave me a lot more courage to bring different coping mechanisms into my home. A very worthwhile programme. It was very rewarding for me and I learned a lot of tools to help me on my parenting journey.’ (Nurture Programme)